1.16.2008

Morning Person


I ask you, is there a worse feeling than waking up in the darkness and realizing your alarm is going off in two minutes? I think not. Which is why when I woke up, squinting at Chris's alarm clock this morning, I was fully prepared to be disappointed and exhausted, again. I ain't been sleeping very well lately. But I squinted harder, looking like my mom used to look when we'd wake her up at 2:15AM to open presents from Santa, and realized yes...dare I hope...YES! there was a 4, not a 6, on the hour side. I still had two hours to sleep. Then, Chris got up and took care of the pets this morning instead of doing our usual, "It's your turn" tango and let me sleep a little bit extra.

I've been going through some drama lately, which I will post about at a later date when it is more appropriate. Don't worry, I'm not trying to pop out a shorty or anything, although I thought I was going to for a minute. THAT really threw things into a tizzy 'round here. But I'm good now. That's a Bob Schneider song.

I've also been very busy trying to get all my reading done for school. We have seven books for my cohort class to read before January 25, and then we have to read them all over again over the course of the semester. There are four non-fiction and three fiction texts. I've got two fiction done, one non-fiction done, and two other started. The course is about critical issues and the social, political, and economic contexts, and, from the fictional texts, we're really going to be looking at the effects of colonialism on African nations. If you haven't, you should really read Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible
as it is easily one of the best books I have ever read AND a book that everyone should read.

The other class I'm in, History of Critical Ed (yeah! my first official critical pedagogy course) has three books and a ton of supplementary stuff, and I'm anxious to get into it once I finish my cohort class work. Awesomely, the first non-fiction text I read was all about ritual, myth, and symbolism in world cultures, and it was all difficult to read, but the last chapter is all about WWF as myth and symbolism. So it was pretty sweet to open up this academic book and see a picture of Sergeant Slaughter and Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake coupled with an in-depth analysis of the overarching patriotic symbolism of a typical WWF episode in the 80s. Totally bitch.

1 comment:

...Banter said...

thanks for the comment. i'm offically grossed out. are we gonna hang this weekend, or are you officially lame?